Although Chef Matthew likes to experiment with recipes and probably changed a little bit of this and that, these yummy beans were served in our New Mexican Steak Salad at Tuesday Lunch this week. Only two weeks of Tuesday Lunch remain. What have been your favorite Tuesday Lunch dishes? Let us know and it will help as we plan our final two weeks’ menus! Send your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org. And make sure to join us for our final two weeks of Tuesday Lunch!
Smoky Chipotle Black Beans
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped or pureed (or more, if you prefer more spice)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 (14.5 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- ¾ cup water
- ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and chipotle peppers; cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the vinegar and deglaze pan. Add beans and just enough water to prevent scorching. Cover and simmer over lower heat for 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Serve warm. Makes about 2 cups.