A classic time-honored salad that is just the thing for picnics and tailgate parties! Enjoy and… Go Royals!
- 1 cup salad oil
- Â½ cup sugar
- Â½ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, fresh, peeled, finely minced
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- Â½ teaspoon paprika
- Â¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Â¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 cups spinach, fresh, stems removed, thoroughly washed, dried
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or dried cherries)
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 4 to 6 slices bacon, cooked, drained, crumbled
- Â½ cup almonds, toasted, slivered
For the dressing,Â in a container with a tight fitting lid add oil, sugar, vinegar, garlic, salt, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cover and shake well to mix well.Â Â (Dressing may be made up to one week ahead of time and stored in refrigerator.)Â Â Set aside.
To assemble salad,Â in a large salad bowl add spinach, cranberries, cheese, onions, bacon, and almonds.Â Pour dressing over top and toss to combine. Serve immediately.Â Makes 6 servings.
If you have extra spinach, try sautÃ©ing a little minced garlic in olive oil, then adding coarsely chopped spinach leaves.Â SautÃ© just until leaves begin to be limp.Â This makes a flavorful side dish with almost any main course entrÃ©e.Â