This recipe is a staple of our All Hands For Hunger™ interactive teambuilding model where local companies create freezers full of food for local charities here in the Kansas City area. It’s hearty, healthy and freezes well. Oh yes … and it’s delicious. We have it available for sale by the quart in our Dinners on Demand freezers too!
- 1/8 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, washed, peeled, diced
- 1 cup onions, diced
- ½ cup celery, washed, diced
- 1 white potato, peeled, ¼-inch dice
- 1 1/2 large red bell peppers, washed, seeded, medium dice
- 1 1/2 quarts white beans, cooked, drained
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1 cup whole tomatoes, canned, processed slightly in food processor (or blender)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ tablespoon rosemary, fresh, washed
In a 1-gallon stock pot heat add bacon and sauté over medium-high heat until lightly crisp, stirring constantly. Add oil, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes and peppers and sauté until halfway tender, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Add beans, water, tomatoes, salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper and rosemary. Stir to mix and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from heat. To serve, ladle into individual soup bowls. Serve warm.
Makes 4 quarts.
ETC: Serve a moist cornbread and honey butter alongside this soup for a full meal experience.
Find this and other CCKC favorite recipes in our cookbook –|
“The Culinary Center of Kansas City’s BEST RECIPES – SECOND EDITION.” ™
Available for purchase online at www.kcculinary.com and in our retail store – “The Kitchen Shop.”™