As part of our ‘Sandy’s Six‘ blog series, Executive Chef Sandy DiGiovanni at The Culinary Center of Kansas City shares some of her favorite food destinations she’s found while traveling…
Before I even start, let me say that KANSAS CITY should definitely be on here, but it’s not travel for me since I live here, so it didn’t make this particular list. People are friendly, prices are good, there’s a diverse mixture of things to do and the food is FANTASTIC. It goes without saying that Kansas City is known for great BBQ, but it doesn’t stop there. From upscale dining to little cafes and food trucks, this city is a hidden gem. But, of the places I’ve traveled outside of KC, these are some of my favorites for their food…
- #1 = PARIS. You thought I’d say Italy, didn’t you? Keep reading; it’s definitely on the list, but I have to rate Paris at the top. There’s just so much thought put into their food. The rich flavors! Escargot with garlic butter and a fresh baguette! Croissants like nowhere else in the world! Mmmm, I’m salivating just remembering.
- Italy. My favorite restaurant is in Florence. It’s called Trattoria ZàZà, and it’s in the San Lorenzo Central Market Area of the City. Visit it if you get the chance. Florence is more ‘meat-centric’ than Rome and the coastal parts of Italy. The seafood you’ll find on the coast is delicious. Bring your fat pants, because you’re going to want to eat and eat and eat in Italy…
- Austin & Portland. I’m calling this one a tie. These are two of the most fun foodie cities. Plan a trip to these ‘weird’ destinations just to work your way through their food truck offerings!
- Chicago. This Midwest city boasts some of the best restaurants from some of the country’s best chefs. I love Frontera Fresco (Rick Bayliss). Another great one is RPM Italian Restaurant (part of a group of restaurants by Bill and Giuliana Rancic, Chef Doug Psaltis and Lettuce Entertain You). Oh so many… too many to name. Just eat your way through the city and enjoy.
- New York City. Babbo (Mario Batali and Joseph Bastianich) is worth the price and the wait to get in. Bobby Flay’s Gato serves up Mediterranean cuisine. Like Chicago, too many great restaurants to put in a list. Start with one and just work your way through them all, if you can!
- Las Vegas. Vegas has become a mecca for great chefs to open restaurants. Among them, you’ll find restaurants by Giada De Laurentiis, Guy Fieri, Bobby Flay, Tom Colicchio, Gordon Ramsay, Joël Robuchon, Thomas Keller, Emeril Lagasse, Wolfgang Puck, and so many more. You may find yourself spending more time eating than gambling.
I love to travel. I love to eat. What can I say?
What are your favorite food destinations?