Our culinary instructors are, bar none, THE best in the Midwest, perhaps even the country. We have more talent in our kitchens than you can shake a whisk at, and we’re growing our pool of rock stars all the time. Like today, for example. We just added three classes to our schedule with a fabulous new instructor you’re going to love. (Read about Chef Dana Holland below). There are also chefs hanging out in our kitchens who have been here more than 20 years, such as Chef Richard McPeake. This talented and versatile guy knows a thing or two about cooking, and he loves sharing his knowledge (and his stories!) with our classes. (Scroll down to read more about Chef Richard). So, today we spotlight two very experienced and talented chefs – one, our newest culinary instructor and one of our ‘oldest’ (well, not really old as in years lived… just in terms of years teaching with us). We’re happy to have as part of our team…
Chef Dana Holland
Although Chef Dana is new to the KC area and to The Culinary Center of Kansas City®, he’s certainly not new to cooking OR teaching. This well-seasoned chef has been “in the biz” for more than 35 years, involved in everything from creating restaurant concepts, training culinary staff and developing computer software for cost & recipe management to catering, being Executive Chef of a restaurant and, oh yes, appearing in (and WINNING) Food Network’s Cupcake Wars! What can’t this guy do?!
In between all of that, Chef Dana has found time to travel and learn cuisines of the world. Not just a little vacation, either. I’m talking about 18 weeks in Switzerland, 6 weeks in France, 4 weeks in Mexico (twice), 15 weeks in the Caribbean, 4 weeks in Hawaii, 5 weeks in Italy… and more. To say he has experienced different cuisines would be to understate it. He knows cooking and flavors, and he’s looking forward to sharing his knowledge, and some great tips and techniques, with our students.
We just added Chef Dana’s first THREE classes to our schedule. Click on the titles below for more information (and watch for more classes from Chef Dana in the near future):
· Saving Sunshine in a Jar – Quick & Easy Pickling (Sat 4/20)
· Breakfast. It’s What’s for Dinner! (Tue 4/23)
· Celebration Cinco de Mayo (Sat 5/04)
Chef Richard McPeake
Chef Richard has been teaching at The Culinary Center of Kansas City since the beginning of time – well, almost. Since nearly the beginning of CCKC, anyway. And that’s better than 20 years now! A seasoned chef and instructor, the Educator of ‘Que (as he’s often called) teaches a variety of classes, including many of our BBQ & Grilling classes in our Midwest BBQ Institute™ program and our Professional Culinary Series™ (Pro Series) classes.
A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America (Hyde Park, NY), Chef Richard has developed over 30 restaurant concepts in his 40+ years as a chef. Plus he’s an award-winning BBQ Pitmaster with a shelf full of trophies and ribbons, including American Royal Grand Champion and 7 First-Place Ribbons, 2015 American Culinary Federation KCCA Chef of the Year, 15 Travel Holiday Awards for Food Excellence, two 4-Diamond Awards from AAA for Food Excellence (and the list goes on!). Chef Richard is now the lead culinary instructor at Kansas City Kansas Community College, and he loves mentoring the KCKCC culinary students in competition.
We’re lucky to have this talented chef on our team of instructors. To check out one of Chef Richard’s upcoming classes, click on the title below:
· Couples Cook A Sophisticated Coastal Menu (Fri 3/22) – SOLD OUT
· The Thrill of the Grill: Grilling 101 (Sun 3/24)
(on a Last-Minute Delicious Deal! Take 10% off with promocode lastminutedeal)
· Couples Cook A Romantic Chateaubriand Dinner for Two (Fri 3/29) – SOLD OUT
· Knife Skills (Wed 4/03)
· Backyard Grilling With Your Teen – Adult/Teen (ages 13-19) (Sun 4/07)
· Couples Cook A Romantic Chateaubriand Dinner for Two (Fri 4/12) – SOLD OUT
· Cook Like Julia… featuring Beef Bourguignon & More (Wed 4/17)
· The ‘Art of Smokology’®: Smoking 101 (Sun 4/28)
· Couples Cook An Elegant Beef Wellington Dinner for Two (Fri 5/03)
· Knife Skills 101 (Wed 5/08)
· Couples Cook A Romantic Chateaubriand Dinner for Two (Fri 5/10)
· Couples Cook A French Countryside Meal for Two… featuring Cassoulet (Fri 5/24)
· A Lesson in Seared Meats, Pan Sauces & Risotto (Wed 5/29)
· Couples Cook An Elegant Surf & Turf Dinner for Two (Fri 5/31)
· Junior Chefs (ages 9-14): 3-Day Pro Series™ (Mon-Wed 6/03-05)
· BBQ Workshop: Sauces, Rubs & Marinades (Sun 6/09)
· Full-Day Backyard Smoking Workshop (Sun 6/23)
· Junior Chefs (ages 9-14): 3-Day Pro Series™ (Mon-Wed 7/08-10)