- Olive oil
- 1 small red or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 2 bell peppers, red, yellow or green, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 2 zucchini, cut into half-moons
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 cups whole tomatoes, peeled, seeded & chopped, juice reserved
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or Italian parksley, finely chopped (2 Tbsp dried, if you don’t have fresh
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large sauté pan or pot, heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the eggplant and peppers — and another glug of olive oil — and sauté about 10 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender.
- Add the zucchini, garlic, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Stew for about 20 minutes, until everything is cooked through, then remove the bay leaf.
- Just before serving add chopped basil or parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper.