This tasty dish makes a weekday family meal fancy or a dinner party even fancier. We served it on a bed of rice pilaf at Tuesday Lunch, but you may choose a bow-tie pasta instead. The choices are endless – the results, delicious! Bon appetit…
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (5-ounce) chicken breasts, boneless, skin off, pounded to ½-inch thick
- 1 shallot, peeled, large dice
- 1 cup button mushrooms, washed, dried, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, small dice
- ½ cup dry white wine (such as Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 6 Roma tomatoes, washed, ends trimmed, large dice
- 1 cup artichoke hearts (canned or jarred), drained, quartered
- 1 tablespoon basil, fresh, washed, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano, fresh, washed, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
For the chicken, in a skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. In shallow pan add flour, salt, and pepper, Stir to combine. Place chicken in flour, one at a time, and dredge to cover completely. Immediately add chicken to skillet and sauté until golden brown, turning once. Remove from heat. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
For the sauce, in same skillet add shallots, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened, stirring constantly. Add wine, lemon juice and cook for 1 minute or until liquid is reduced by about one third. Add stock, tomatoes, and artichokes. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Add basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
For the roux, in a small sauce pan melt butter. With a whisk, stir in flour and whisk for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture thickens.
Place skillet with sauce back on heat and bring to a boil. Pour roux into the boiling sauce and cook stir until sauce thickens, stirring constantly. Immediately add chicken back to the pan; reduce heat and simmer mixture for 1 to 2 minutes or until chicken is heated through.
To serve, equally divide pasta onto 4 individual dinner plates. Top with chicken and ladle sauce over top to cover. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.