It’s a tough job, but somebody’s got to do it!Â Yes, for all the folks who will be joining us for Local Life in Downtown Overland Park TONIGHT, we – the staff of The Culinary Center of Kansas City – took a field trip out to Stone Pillar Winery and picked the wines they’ll bring along for sampling.Â (We’re there for ‘ya…)
George Hoff, Stone Pillar’s owner, wearing a Stone Pillar t-shirt touting ‘We Don’t Cork & Tell’ on the back :-), was gracious in hosting our sampling of some of Stone Pillar’s finest wines. The vineyard is located at College Blvd. and Woodland Ave. in Olathe, KS, on land that has been in his family for 150 years (!).Â George told us about the wines, pointing out flavors to notice and suggesting pairings that would suit each of them.
It was a tough choice, but we have picked six wines that they’ll bring along to Local Life.
- Sweet Riesling, which has refreshing sweet pineapple and floral aromas with citrus hints
- Hofftoberfest, their most popular semi-sweet tropical white wine
- 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon, made with 100% estate-grown grapes that give red black currant aroma with a subtle tannic and oaky finish
- Joceaux, pronounced Joco, a blend that serves well with spicy dishes
- Redneck RosÃ©, a heavier and sweeter wine than some of the other reds, with a hint of what we think reminds us of cloves
- Chocolate Sweetheart, a seasonal offering that has a chocolate, dark cherry flavor – a great dessert wine
..and oh yes, our own Chef Sandy will be providing a cooking demonstration and tastings on Homemade Marshmallows! … and then there’s Jim Lammers on classical guitar.Â What a night.
Don’t miss out. Come visit us during 3rd Friday Local Life tonight at CCKC to enjoy a delicious mix of local wines available from Stone Pillar, AND Pinckney Bend Distillery from New Haven, MO, will be here with samplings, as well. Click here for more details of this Friday evening’s Local Life activities!